Friday, June 13, 2008

A community lake in the middle of town

This is the most rain we have had in a long time. Yesterday afternoon, the kids and I were 'camped out' in our hallway and bathroom, waiting for the thunderstorm and tornado warnings to pass. It rained so much and so hard with thunders and lightnings -- it is just awesome! With all the rain of course, comes flooding. Our backyard and garden was flooded again. I shall say at least a good 4 inches of water. After the storm subsided for awhile I went outside to check around. I was curious because from my window in the office, I kept seeing cars drive by our road, and then they stop and then they drive backwards. I saw maybe at least 5 cars do it. I thought to myself... what crazy drivers. Are they just out to have fun?

I
went out to see what was going on, people are starting to flock down the intersection of Park and 7th Street (our street). Wow, the entire Park/7th street is flooded up to waist deep. I took some pictures but my video camera don't do much justice with taking pictures of it. I did take some video footage though and hopefully you can see just how crazy-awesome it is (If and when I get them uploaded). It is like a little water park :) We have our very own wading pool. When cars and trucks drive by it makes quite the waves... Jordan loved it. It is also funny to see quite a few people out there in their swimming trunk/suits. Anyway, my kids had a fun time being outside for a little while playing in our flooded backyard, until it rained again. This is definitely the day you don't want to be out driving in the streets.



I love thunderstorms. :) AND I love playing in the rain and puddles. :) I am such a kid at heart yet. They remind me of fun childhood memories.


I feel bad for the people who live close by the floodings and have their basements flooded. I have heard of some people I know who had problems with their basement flooding or rental units. Insurance companies sure would have a lot of cases from people claiming their flood insurances. I am glad I don't have a basement yet and won't have to worry of it flooding. The next house we will be getting though would be a little bigger one with a basement. We'll just have to make sure our sump-pump works well, especially in weathers like this.

1 comment:

  1. Laurie: "..dont drink the water, the water is yucky!" LOL!

    ReplyDelete